Programs & Services for Homeless People in Madison
- Shelters: for families, women and children, and men
- Food pantries & Meals: many folks say it’s near impossible to starve in Madison due to the great number of food pantries & meals offered. See also Community Action Coalition’s list, comprehensive.
- Laundry: Bubbles, 701 E. Johnson St, Tues & Fri 9 AM- 1PM, two loads for free
- Showers: Shelters & Madison Catholic Multi-Cultural Center
1862 Beld St., Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9 – 2:30
- Educations: Catholic Mutlicultural Center
- Medical: Catholic Multicultural Center, Our Lady of Hope 24/7 direct access, uninsured
- Dental: Access Dental offers cleanings & priority tooth work. Important to call on a Monday, as scheduling appointments are typically not available after Wednesday.
Mission of Mercy – Dental Health Foundation: annual weekend where all dental work is provided for free; location changes but in Wisconsin. Dental Hygiene Clinic at MATC, at cost but economical.
- Hospitality House (part of Porchlight) provides many services including mail & obtaining id, personal hygiene, and the like. Have heard from many that the staff can be abusive.
- Addiction Resources: Tellurian specializes in substance abuse services & detox center. Often a long wait.
Madison Health Services, 3113 E. Washington Ave. (608) 242-0220
- Activities: Bethel Ministries: Book Club, Spiritual Group, and other activities.
- Children & Youth: TEP Homeless Services for children in Madison school
Grass Root Programs
- State Street Family: outreach & supplies/food management along with Stone Soup Squad.
- Santas Without Chimneys: great grass roots program to bring volunteers and toys to homeless children.
- Occupy Madison Inc: OM Build & Tiny Houses
- Sanctuary: group of people advocating for productive changes
Also see: Center for Community Stewardship Web Page who acts as a fiscal agent for many of these local grass root services.
See also Sanctuary’s List >